Sunday, February 13, 2011

WRITING IS HARD

As a script and novel doctor and former agent I've always been very sympathetic to writers.  I understand how hard it is to write.  When I was a kid I wanted to write and as an adult spent over 20 years working with screenwriters and novelists. 

It's not just that the writing itself is difficult, it's also dealing with finding the right time and place and mood and inspiration all at the same time.  I find it difficult myself.  When I was writing my first book and now when I'm in the throes of writing two others, I find that I seem to finally get in the groove just before my husband comes home.  When he walks in the door all writing work has to cease.  We don't have a big place so there isn't a quiet, private space for me to go.  I like working in the living room.  Gregg (the husband) likes to talk after a day of teaching school.  He likes to catch the sports data on TV and he is soon hungry for dinner.  I think my timing is my own way of slightly sabotaging myself. 

I'm really going to have to work on getting started much earlier in the day.  Then maybe someday I'll manage to give up smoking.








No comments:

Post a Comment