Monday, April 25, 2011

REINVENTING OURSELVES

Looking back on my life I realize that I have reinvented myself many, many times.  I started my life thinking that I would become a housewife and mother.  Neither of these things ever occurred.  Because I needed to support myself from the time I was 19 years old, I worked as a messenger, receptionist, secretary, office manager, rental agent and a myriad of other jobs.  Luckily found a career in the entertainment field as a literary agent.  When I began this work there were very few women in the business.  I guess I am considered one of the pioneer women.  It's a nice title but what it means is that becoming an agent and staying in business was fraught with difficulties, trial and tribulations.  I never faltered.  It was the career of a lifetime and I loved it.

When the time came for me to end that part of my life I took some time off and re-evaluated.  What I discovered was that I still loved being a part of the creative world.  That's why I became a screenplay and novel coach.  It's really a natural progression from agenting.

After a couple of years as a consultant I realized that there were so many writers who didn't have a clue about the inner-machinations of Hollywood.   I needed to share my years of experience and accrued knowledge.  My book:  "MIND YOUR BUSINESS: A Hollywood Literary Agent's Guide To Your Writing Career" was my effort to teach writers what to expect and how to get into the business of entertainment.

Many people look toward having a writing career at various points in their lives.  It's never too early and it's never too late.  









 

No comments:

Post a Comment